Ultimate Guide to Yard Pong
Yard Pong is a fun outdoor game that can be played and enjoyed by people of all ages. Essentially, yard pong is a jumbo or oversized version of Beerpong that uses buckets rather than solo cups. It is great for playing games in the park, when camping, or on the beach. Rather than filling the buckets with adults only drinks, the buckets are simply filled with water, making the game suitable for kids and teenagers as well as adults. Some people will still opt to add in drinking penalties for the adults, while the more adventurous may take on a game of slime pong with their kids. This guide is full of Yard Pong rules, Yard Pong game variations, drinking game rules, and non drinnking alternatives!
Games pack with yard pong plus heaps of funny bonus slime games!
If you need to purchase a yard pong set, check out the Slimageddon Slime Games pack. It includes everything you need to play Yard Pong (or slime pong) as well as 20 other fun outdoor games. The pack includes a huge number of bonus accessories such as 15 gallons of slime powder, 2 slime guns, a slime grenade and heaps more.The best part, it costs the same price as most yard pong sets on Amazon. That means you get the slime and bonus slime accessories for no additionl charge!
Click the links to jump ahead
- Yard Pong
- Bucket Ball
- Slime Pong
- Basket Pong
Yard Pong Rules
How to set up yard pong
Jumbo yard pong is usually played with 2 teams of 1 or 2 players. Two balls and 12 buckets are needed for the game. Each team is in charge of positioning a triangle made up of 6 yard pong buckets across from one another.
The level of ability of the players, the amount of space provided, and/or the wind conditions outside can all affect how far apart the bucket sets are from one another.
The front Yard Pong buckets should be spaced at least 15 feet apart, but you can place the triangles farther apart to make it more challenging.
How to play Yard Pong
1. The aim of the game is to eliminate all the opposing team's yard pong buckets before they eliminate yours. To do so, you must throw or bounce the ball into their buckets.
2. Yard Pong buckets are eliminated when a ball is dropped into one. If a ball lands in a bucket, that bucket should be taken out of the triangle and removed from the game.
3. Players must throw or bounce the ball while standing behind their final bucket. Pretend there is an imaginary line behind your last bucket, and you must not cross this line when making your shot.
4. Each player on the team must take a turn shooting one of the two yard pong balls before the other team can shoot.
5. A team gets both of the yard pong balls back for another turn if they make both of their shots.
6. It does not count as a successful shot if the ball enters a bucket and then bounces out.
7. When the ball BOUNCES into a yard pong bucket, that bucket and one more bucket of the shooter's choice are eliminated.
8. If a team chooses to bounce the ball, the opposing team can play defence, in order to stop the ball from landing in their bucket. After bouncing off the ground, the opposing side may catch, swot, or use any other body part to prevent the ball from going in a bucket.
9. If the shot hits the yard pong bucket's rim and bounces back, the same defence can be used.
10. Be careful when playing defence, the ball counts, if it goes in off a defender. Also, if a team accidentally knocks over one of their own buckets while playing defence, that bucket is also removed from the game.
11. A yard pong bucket that has been knocked over by a shot should be stood up and placed back in its original location rather than being removed.
12. Once a ball has landed in a team’s final bucket, that team gets one last chance to draw the round. Their team can continue shooting for the other team’s buckets until they miss.
13. If both team’s buckets get eliminated the game moves into a three-bucket overtime. Place three buckets into a triangle at each end and continue playing.
14. If the other team is unable to force the game into overtime and all of their buckets are eliminated, the winners are awarded as yard pong champions.
Yard Pong Drinking Game Rules
If you want to add drink penalties for adult games of yard pong the rules are simple. All players must play with a drink in one hand. Everytime the opposition lands a ball in one of your buckets you must have a large drink.
If you want to get even more creative, try taping your own fun rules to the bottom of the buckets as shown in the tik tok video below.
To add penalties that don't involving drinking try slime pong!
How to play Bucket Ball
Bucket ball is just another name used by some brands for yard pong. We often get asked how to play bucket ball and the rules are identical to the rules of yard pong listed above. You can learn how to play bucketball or yard pong in the youtube video above.
Let’s face it, the thing that often makes these types of games fun and entertaining for adults is the drinking penalties. If you are looking for a fun variation that still involves penalties but doesn’t rely on drinks, you need to try slime pong! It’s the perfect game to get kids involved and create some long-lasting family memories.
What you need to play Yard Pong with Slime
The easiest way to play Slime Pong is to purchase a Slimageddon set. It includes everything you need to play yard pong as well as a huge amount of slime, AND a bunch of fun bonus accessories (such as slime guns, slime grenades, slime water balloons and more) for a huge number of other slime themed games. The pack also includes a measuing scoop and the buckets have slime lines so you know exactly how much water and slime powder to add to make the perfect slime.
The best part, a full Slimageddon set is the same price as most Yard Pong sets on Amazon. We have included some links below for your comparison. If you don’t want to play slime pong you can play regular yard pong and get all the bonus equipment for free!
Buy Yard Pong or Slimageddon!
Buy slime for Slime Pong!
If you already own a Yard Pong set and just want slime to turn it into a Slime Pong game then you can purchase slime below. Instant Slime is available in 6 colors. You can buy in individual color packs that make 25 gallons of slime. Or combo packs that contain multiple colors and make 10 gallons of each color.
Slime Pong Rules
Slime pong is played much the same way as yard pong, as described in the rules above with the awesome addition of slime.
Slimageddon comes with slime powder and a measuring scoop. The Slimageddon yard pong buckets have lines to show you how much water to add to turn a scoop of slime powder into slime.
To start the game, fill each bucket with slime up to the mini slime line, then proceed to set up the game in the usual way. After each successful shot, the opposing team must pick up the bucket that the ball dropped into and tip the a mini slime over their head (don’t worry the slime is perfectly safe, non-staining to clothes, and easy to clean up).
At the end of the game, all the remaining slime buckets from the losing end can be poured into one large bucket for a mega sliming of the losing team.
To make sure that the game lasts long enough for both teams to have a chance at sliming their opponent’s. Slime pong is often played with one ball instead of two, and a team does not get the ball back if they make a successful shot. You can also decide whether or not you want to include the rules about bounce shots resulting in a double bucket sliming.
Overall slime pong is a fun and exciting twist on a classic game of yard pong, that is sure to get your kids talking for a long time about how much fun they had. Afterall, there is a reason why slime themed TV game shows were so popular. Kids (and adults) find it hilarious to watch people getting slimed!
Learn more about Slimageddon!
Giant Yard Pong - Basket Pong
If you want to go even bigger than you can play games of giant yard pong. Giant yard pong is often referred to as bucket ball and is played with oversized buckets and basketballs.
How to play Giant Yard Pong
Giant yard pong or basket pong is a great game variation for basketball lovers. Huge buckets used to resemble the size of a basketball hoop and basketballs are used instead of ping pong balls or rubber balls. Basket pong rules are essentially the same as yard pong or slime pong rules, everything is just a little bigger and players usually shoot the balls like a basketball player taking a shot for the hoop.
How to play Basket Pong
How to play Civil War Yard Pong
Civil War Yard pong is an awesome variation of Yard Pong with it's own set of rules. Click here to learn
how to play Civil War Yard Pong
Looking for more awesome outdoor games?
Click the links for the following awesome articles
- Slime Party Games
- Best Outdoor Games for Teenagers
- Best Games for Youth Groups
- Best Games for Summer Camps